2020 NCTE Virtual Annual Convention FAQs
LOGISTICS: HOURS, NAVIGATING THE PLATFORM
What are the hours of the Convention?
Each area has different hours, but the lobby will be staffed during the following hours:
- Wednesday: 6 – 9 p.m. ET
- Thursday: 2 – 9 p.m. ET; Exhibit hall grand opening 5:15 – 6 p.m.
- Friday: noon – 9 p.m. ET
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. ET
- Sunday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET
What time zone are hours?
Times for all sessions are Eastern Time.
How can I access Live or Scheduled Sessions in the platform?
After you enter the Convention Platform, click on “Webcast Auditorium” at the top of the page. Once in the Auditorium, find the session you want to attend, click on the blue “more info” box and then click on the red “attend webcast” button.
What are the different components of the virtual platform?
NCTE 2020 Lobby: The lobby is the main entrance to the Convention platform. There is a chat at the bottom of the page for general questions.
Webcast Auditorium: This is where Live and Scheduled (Prerecorded) sessions are located. Exhibitor sessions are included in the webcast auditorium.
On-Demand Sessions: These sessions are available any day, any time. On-Demand sessions include poster sessions, panels, roundtables, and more. When you click on “On-Demand sessions” in the navigation bar, a new window will open for you to browse these sessions.
Exhibit Hall: Contains three primary halls: (1) NCTE Central, where you will find the NCTE merchandise, member services, and publications booths; (2) Featured Sponsor hall, where you will find Heinemann and Scholastic; and (3) Build Your Stack hall. All other exhibitors are listed in alphabetical order within the Exhibit Hall. Many exhibitors are offering author meet and greets; review the Meet the Author booklet to learn more.
Networking Lounges: Lounges are where you can have more casual conversations with fellow attendees. There are four lounges:
- Confluencia Café. Join us in the Café for morning coffee chats, celebration toasts, and other focused conversations.
- Inspiration Station. Come here to recharge, share creative ways you are adjusting to hybrid or virtual learning, and discuss other topics that are sure to inspire.
- What I’m Reading Room. Join us to discuss all things books!
- Open Air Atrium. Simply want to chat? This is your place! This networking lounge is completely unprogrammed and a space for you to make it what you need.
Program: This is a link to the Convention Program.
Convention Policies: This is a link to the Convention Policies.
How do I use the Online Planner feature? Can I remove a session I added?
You may add any type of session to your online planner: Live, Scheduled, or On-Demand. There are several search features to help you find what you’re looking for. If you are interested in seeing the entire list of sessions, simply click the search button. You can preview session content and add the session to your planner by checking “Add to Planner” next to the session. If you change your mind and would like to remove a selected session, simply uncheck “Add to Planner” and it will be removed.
Will I be on camera if I join a session as an attendee?
The majority of the sessions will not have attendees on video or with audio. There are approximately 15 sessions that use breakout rooms in which attendees can be on video and use audio. Of course, you always have the option to turn off your camera and/or mute your audio.
Can I ask presenters questions during Live and Scheduled sessions?
Yes! We have a number of ways to engage with presenters and authors. During most sessions, attendees will be able to use both the text chat and the Live Q&A. The text chat allows you to share your questions or comments with presenters and attendees. The Live Q&A is only seen by presenters unless a presenter answers your question at which point the question becomes public. If you want to continue a conversation about a session, we’d encourage you to head to the Open Air Atrium where you can use the text chat features in that lounge.
How do I log in to the Convention?
Log in via the NCTE 2020 Virtual Annual Convention Platform. Select “Presenter/Attendee Login” and enter your email address and password. Your email address is the one you used to register for Convention. If you are having problems logging in, you can try to reset your password. If you still have problems, contact us at immediately at email@example.com.
How early can I log in?
You can log in as early as November 13 to use the Online Planner and bookmark the site. The lobby, lounges, and exhibit hall will open on Wednesday, November 18 at 6 p.m. ET. Please log in as soon as possible to ensure you have the best experience possible!
Is there a cut-off date for registration?
Registration for Convention is open until 4:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 22. Once a person registers it takes approximately 30 minutes for that person to have access to the platform.
What if I registered but can no longer attend the Convention?
You will still have access for 60 days after the Convention. You can log in any day, any time, and as frequently as you’d like during this period.
Can I share my login with a friend or colleague?
No, your login is unique to you and cannot be shared.
Can I register for one day only?
No, NCTE does not offer one day registration.
I have a question about becoming an NCTE member.
Visit the Membership booth at NCTE Central to learn more about the benefits of membership! After the Convention, see our website.
OPPORTUNITIES: MEET AUTHORS, COLLECT BOOKS, EARN PRIZES
Will I be able to meet authors at Convention?
Yes! Exhibitors are hosting author meet and greets in their booths. Browse our Meet the Author booklet for a sampling of opportunities, and make sure to stop by exhibitor booths each day to see what they have planned!
Are there opportunities to receive books this year?
There will be opportunities to receive and/or win books this year. Some of these opportunities include:
- Attending the Special Secondary Section Event on Wednesday, November 18 at 7 p.m. ET for a chance to receive a bundle of four books courtesy of NCTE and Macmillan. All attendees are eligible; after the event we will use a randomizer to select 100 winners. See you there!
- Leaving your contact info at the “leave business card” area of the Publications booth at NCTE Central tol be eligible to win one free NCTE book of your choice. There will be one drawing on Friday, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday.
- Visiting Featured Sponsor Heinemann’s booth! Heinemann is offering discounts off list prices for individual online purchases using a coupon code.
- Visiting Featured Sponsor Scholastic’s booth to enter for a chance to win an exclusive swag bag that includes a limited edition 100th anniversary tote bag filled with exciting new titles and swag.
- Stopping by exhibitors’ booths! Many of our exhibitors are planning book giveaways, free e-books, discount codes, and more!
Is there gamification? What is gamification?
Gamification is when a game is added to an online platform. During Convention, attendees earn points for completing different actions (see below). You can check your status in the NCTE Central Hall at any time. Gamification begins at 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 18 and ends on Sunday, November 22 at 4:30 p.m. ET. The 40 attendees with the greatest number of points will receive prizes as follows:
- Top 3 Finishers: Free registration for the 2021 NCTE Annual Convention
- Finisher 4: $75 to spend at bookshop.org
- Finisher 5: $60 to spend at bookshop.org
- Finisher 6: $50 to spend at bookshop.org
- Finishers 7–40: Bundle of three books sent to you
How do I earn points?
You earn points by taking certain actions in the platform. There is no limit and you can check your status in the NCTE Central Hall at any time. Points are assigned as follows:
- 300 points for each visit to one of our Featured Sponsors booths. You are encouraged to leave your business card!
- 250 points for each visit to one of NCTE’s booths: Merchandise, Publications, Member Services, or Build Your Stack
- 200 points for each visit to an exhibitor booth. You are encouraged to leave your business card!
- 50 points for every live, scheduled, or exhibitor session you attend
- 50 points for a visit to the Confluencia Café
If I have technical/logistical questions or issues during the conference, who should I contact?
Questions can be asked through the “Need Help?” live chat feature in the bottom right-hand corner of all platform pages. The platform host, Virtual Event Place (VEP), will staff the Need Help? live chat during Convention hours. If questions are submitted outside of Convention hours, your question will be added to a que and answered when it is back online.
How and when can I access sessions for the 60 days post-Convention?
Archived sessions will be accessed through the same platform and login process you use to attend the Convention. On-Demand sessions can be accessed beginning the first day of Convention. Live and Scheduled sessions will be archived and available for viewing 48 hours after the session ends.