There is so much happening in the Middle Level at NCTE.
From Section-specific events to a thoughtfully chosen program, you’ll notice an energized focus on crafting sessions that speak to the complexities of teaching students in the middle grades and bringing leading authors and educators to the podium. Discover new ideas, new tools, and new friends!
WHAT KINDS OF SESSIONS CAN I ATTEND?
Throughout the Convention there are more than 200 sessions designated of interest to middle level educators, but you’ll find plenty of interest at other levels as well. Among the topics are the following:
- Genius in the Middle: Voices from the Middle Explores Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy in the ELA Classroom
- Illuminating the Middle: Shining a Light on Mental Health Literacy
- Illuminating the Middle: Speculative Fiction as Healing, Joy, and Justice
- Literacies Before Technologies: Making Digital Tools Matter for Middle Level Learners
- Locating the Self in Space and Place: The Politics of Home in Middle Grade and Young Adult Literature
MIDDLE LEVEL FAVORITES:
MIDDLE LEVEL FAVORITES: MIDDLE LEVEL MEET-UP
Kick off your Convention experience with this gathering of Middle Level attendees that features speakers and the chance to hear from Section leaders. Thursday, Nov. 17, 5:45 p.m. PT
ALAN AT NCTE
Hear from a popular author during this much-loved ALAN Breakfast event on Saturday, Nov. 19, 7-9:15 a.m. PT. If you’re looking for even deeper immersion in YA lit, you might enjoy the ALAN Workshop, November 20–22; every registrant will get a box of books!
MIDDLE LEVEL LUNCHEON
Friday, Nov. 18, 11:30-1:30 p.m. PT
#WHYMIDDLEMATTERS is a series of incredible learning experiences on the program. This year’s sessions include:
- Illuminating the Middle: Speculative Fiction as Healing, Joy, and Justice—Thursday, Nov. 17 1:00-2:45 p.m. PT
- Illuminating the Middle: Ethnic Studies and the Middle School Context—Friday, Nov. 18 3:30-4:45 p.m. PT
- Illuminating the Middle: Censorship, Sustainability, and Finding Light in a Climate of Fear —Saturday, Nov. 19 11:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m. PT
- Illuminating the Middle: Shining a Light on Mental Health Literacy—Saturday, Nov. 19 12:30-1:45 p.m. PT
- Middle Grade Literature As Dreams and Possibility—The Middle Level Mosaic—Saturday, Nov. 19 2:45-4:00 p.m. PT